I had a dinner date with my best girl
this evening. We met at the cheapo Pho place in Campsie, where for
$12 you can get a bowl of delicious aromatic Pho the size of your
head. As we tackled our giant bowls of deliciousness we chatted about
our weeks, and eventually the talk turned to families. The biological
kind. There were tears. It's (not really) funny how often talk of
biological families turns to tears. It's comforting to share them
with logical family, who understand.
Of the many things that best girl and I
share and understand about each other, the one we talked about this
evening was our unfulfilled hunger for the unconditional love,
acceptance, and approval of a particular parent. The problem with
this hunger, is that it can never be filled. I am blessed with people
in my life who give me unconditional love, acceptance, and approval.
I have amazing relationships that are fulfilling, and challenging,
and rich with the gamut of emotions. I have people who give me space,
safety, and security to fail and fuck up and fly, with the solid
knowledge that no matter what, they will be there. And somehow, it's
still not quite enough. In talking about this tonight with best girl,
one of those amazing people, I relayed something that talky-doctor
said when I had the same conversation with him last week.
The reality is that the hunger for
parental love can never be satisfied once it has been missed. He
likened it to going to a restaurant that is known for a particular
meal, something you really want and crave, but when you get there
that meal isn't available. There are plenty of other delicious things
to eat, nourishing food that fills you up. But it's not the thing you
wanted. None of it is what you were hoping for. It's a good analogy.
On reflection however, along with the wry recognition of wanting what
I can't have, is a sense of petulance, and the awareness that
fixating on what is not available will inevitably make it harder to
enjoy and appreciate the things that are nourishing me right now. I
don't want to be a petulant child anymore. My plate is full, and I
want to savour every delicious bite.
[382 words]
Comments
Post a Comment