"I never could get the hang of Thursdays" - Douglas Adams
Thursday this week was one of Those Days. My job was stressful and busy and difficult, and was not helped at all by the proximity, inane prattle, and skewed priorities of my colleague. By 2pm I reached peak pique, and took myself for a walk which just happened to go via the coffee shop, where I just happened to spy a sad lonely chocolate donut languishing alone in the glass-fronted cabinet. Perfect. It's no secret that I'm an emotional eater, and there is nothing better at calming anxiety and stress in the moment than a hearty dose of sugar-laden carbs.
I returned to the office with my prize in a brown paper bag, sat at my desk, logged back in, dealt with the build-up of work that had accrued in my absence while the colleague was doing goodness-knows-what, and then removed my shiny delight from it's bag. Hearing the rustle of the paper bag, colleague stuck his head around the partition between our desks, and said "Chocolate donut, should you be eating that?". I was DONE. I fixed him with a glare, and dropped my voice to it's lowest natural register and said "Do NOT tell me what I should or should not eat, it will not go well for you". And then took a bite of the donut. He vanished back to his side of the partition and I enjoyed every single mouthful of my chocolatey carby confection. I also enjoyed his bruised silence for the final shared hour before he left for the day.
[267 words]
I returned to the office with my prize in a brown paper bag, sat at my desk, logged back in, dealt with the build-up of work that had accrued in my absence while the colleague was doing goodness-knows-what, and then removed my shiny delight from it's bag. Hearing the rustle of the paper bag, colleague stuck his head around the partition between our desks, and said "Chocolate donut, should you be eating that?". I was DONE. I fixed him with a glare, and dropped my voice to it's lowest natural register and said "Do NOT tell me what I should or should not eat, it will not go well for you". And then took a bite of the donut. He vanished back to his side of the partition and I enjoyed every single mouthful of my chocolatey carby confection. I also enjoyed his bruised silence for the final shared hour before he left for the day.
[267 words]
Comments
Post a Comment