Skip to main content

Day One - Kissing


I have spent today thinking about kisses. Once upon a time I kissed with reckless abandon, party pashes with friends and strangers alike, flirtatious snogs with crushes, deep passionate melding of mouths with lovers. But these days I kiss cheeks, and sometimes, with particularly close friends, I press my lips briefly to theirs in greeting and farewell. The intimacy of chosen family. It's a lovely intimacy, but I miss the deeper connection of deeper kisses. It's an intimacy I took for granted, and now in its absence, I yearn. I miss that hesitant first kiss moment of loaded tension, as you both lean in and gently brush lips. I miss the mingling of breath, the first electric touch of tongues, exploring and learning and feeling your way into the rhythm of lust. I miss the playful teasing, catching a lip between teeth, flicking my tongue at the crest of their open mouth and retreating when theirs moves forward to meet me. I miss the practiced and familiar kisses of a lover who knows the tilt of my head and the exact pressure of lips that will make me quietly moan into their mouth. I miss the hard panting wetness of passion, catching kisses in the midst of bodies moving over under around together.


Once upon a time I didn't think of kissing as particularly intimate, but as with most precious commodities, its value has risen in contrast to its availability. And for me, as one who hungers mostly for the things that are not readily available, and even more for the things that are withheld, as some kind of masochistic self-validation of my sense of unworthiness, those lingering lockings of lips tongue and teeth have become imbued with an intimacy I ache for. Today at least.  



[296 words]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two - Pho and Family

I had a dinner date with my best girl this evening. We met at the cheapo Pho place in Campsie, where for $12 you can get a bowl of delicious aromatic Pho the size of your head. As we tackled our giant bowls of deliciousness we chatted about our weeks, and eventually the talk turned to families. The biological kind. There were tears. It's (not really) funny how often talk of biological families turns to tears. It's comforting to share them with logical family, who understand. Of the many things that best girl and I share and understand about each other, the one we talked about this evening was our unfulfilled hunger for the unconditional love, acceptance, and approval of a particular parent. The problem with this hunger, is that it can never be filled. I am blessed with people in my life who give me unconditional love, acceptance, and approval. I have amazing relationships that are fulfilling, and challenging, and rich with the gamut of emotions. I have people who give me...

Day Three - Donut Defense

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays" - Douglas Adams Thursday this week was one of Those Days. My job was stressful and busy and difficult, and was not helped at all by the proximity, inane prattle, and skewed priorities of my colleague. By 2pm I reached peak pique, and took myself for a walk which just happened to go via the coffee shop, where I just happened to spy a sad lonely chocolate donut languishing alone in the glass-fronted cabinet. Perfect. It's no secret that I'm an emotional eater, and there is nothing better at calming anxiety and stress in the moment than a hearty dose of sugar-laden carbs. I returned to the office with my prize in a brown paper bag, sat at my desk, logged back in, dealt with the build-up of work that had accrued in my absence while the colleague was doing goodness-knows-what, and then removed my shiny delight from it's bag. Hearing the rustle of the paper bag, colleague stuck his head around the partition between our des...